This is what helps me be more creative:
- Take regular breaks and have alone time.
- Write daily. [compose a blog entry of two, take notes in sketchbook]
- Read daily. [science fiction, blogs, news, sports]
- Exercise regularly and eat healthy. [cycling, walking, or calisthenics]
- Expand my network daily. [in person, LinkedIn, Twitter]
- Listen to music [wide variety depending on the time of day, latest jam has been The Smashing Pumpkins]
The list is basic, but I find that if I can do each of the above items on a daily basis, then I am in the right mindset to create--and make connections between disparate ideas or concepts.
The repetition of items days after day and week after week is the key of long term success.