Creative leadership starts with understanding the options available to you and then making connections.
Here is an outline of the steps that you can take to start thinking about how to think broadly about where you want to go and how to execute your goals:
1. Discovering opportunities:
- Where do you want to go?
- What does the current landscape look like?
- What is the impact on your business?
2. Planning change:
- Have you mapped your network and all possible options?
- What is your long term plan to achieve your goals?
- How will you accomplish your goals on a day to day basis?
3. Taking action:
- How will your organization be structured to support the change?
- What specific methods will be used to help your business change?
- Are any tools required to assist?
4. Follow through:
- How will you optimize the new way of doing business to achieve lasting change?
- How will you measure success?
- How will you get feedback and continually improve your business system?
The process of leading creatively does not end with the last step and once change has taken place. You need to continually cycle through each of the four steps periodically to assess new opportunities, reassess previous actions, and make sure your organization is still staying true to its vision and values.