The call of the wild is what keeps entrepreneurs, innovators, and leaders moving forward. You never really know when the call may come or in what form, but the important thing is to be there to answer it. Responding to a call means that doors of opportunity that you previously did not perceive may open before you.
Seeking the unknown is not for everyone. Applying the Pareto principle loosely to this situation, if 80% of the population is content where they are, then the other 20% of us are driving forward exploring uncharted markets, landscapes, or ideas. As we make new connections and discoveries, we bring those new concepts back to civilization in the form of new sources of value.
However, I believe that all people are capable of answering the call and becoming explorers. It starts with taking a good look at where you are and making the right decisions about what you want to do next. Moment to moment, what are you choosing to do and is it getting you to where you need to go?